Things I Choose to No Longer Use


Hi Friends,

Some of these things I gave up long ago when I first learned about pollution and that forests, and the living beings who lived in them were becoming endangered, some going extinct because of human sprawl and hogging of resources that meant destruction for all living creatures – even ourselves. I started making some adjustments, and I'm continuing to make them.

·         I never bought into the propaganda that I needed to be a good little consumer. I never threw away last year's clothing because it was 'not the thing' anymore. Mainly because I never bought fads. Never bought any piece of clothing for the name on the label. Same with technology and machinery. Buy a new car every other year? Why? For that 'new car smell'? Basically that 'new car smell' is toxic fumes from tanning of leather, or plastic parts of the car. New phone every couple of years? No way. I am an old proponent of the adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix (or replace) it'. Same with my computer. Unless it flat out stops working, as far as I'm concerned, it's a keeper. 

·         I stopped using paper plates altogether. The only reason to use them at home is flat-out laziness. Same with paper napkins. I use fabric napkins or washcloths, wash them out in the dishwater and hang them up on the towel rack for the next night.

·         Even when I had an electric dishwasher in my apartment, I didn't use it. I used the racks to drain the few dishes I had after washing them by hand. Now, my husband and I live in a studio apartment that doesn't have a dishwasher and that suits me just fine. Less water used, and less caustic chemicals drained into the water supply.   

·         I rarely use paper towels. I use dish cloths and tea towels around the kitchen and turn old clothing into rags to clean with. The only thing I use paper towels for is greasy messes, and even then, I keep a ton of really worn-out old rags handy that can be disposed of if absolutely necessary.  

·         I stopped using laundry washing and drying machines, and along with them, jugs of detergent. I switched to Zote Soap and stopped using chlorine bleach decades ago. I do use Oxiclean in hot water to soak underwear and socks to sanitize. Hand-laundering clothing and fabric items may sound extreme, but it saves water, eliminates tons of plastic (jugs) and toxins from the excess detergents with their various additives going into the water supply. I only need a bucket and sink to do my laundry as opposed to an entire room devoted to machines. I am self-powered no electricity needed. Also, I try and use the gray water to flush my toilet when I can, though it's difficult to haul buckets of water into the bathroom due to my disabilities.

·         I have meatless meals a day or two a week. I observe Meatless Monday, and sometimes I'll do salads or other meatless meals. I will not go completely vegan because I don't think it's healthy – and don't bombard me with comments, I've researched this, and there are many who agree with me. I do try to avoid factory farmed dairy and animal products, because that is a shitshow that no one should support.

·         I stopped using coffee machines – and I'm talking electric drip machines. I never owned a Keurig. I can't believe the plastic waste from all those stupid K cups. How selfish can humans be? Before I get off on a complete rant, I boil water in the microwave and use a press to make coffee. I could probably cold brew it overnight in the press and eliminate the electricity altogether. That may be fodder for another article. 

·         Blaze and I publish only eBooks because we don't see the need to destroy forests for paper to publish our work. If renewable paper products made without destruction of forests become more prevalent and affordable, we may reconsider, but for now, we publish electronically. I know many people insist on hardcopy books, and there are some manuals and books that I prefer to have physical copies of – I'm a highlighter and paper-clipper when it comes to my research books, I will admit – but for novels and other pleasure reading? eBooks all the way.

I plan to continue to find ways to cut back on the amount of waste and pollution I contribute to my planet, and blogging about it in hopes that I get suggestions on more ways I can put my best intentions into practice.

Thanks for reading.

Ter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Green Geezers Blog!

Did You Know About Tar Sands?

LIVING GREEN: WHO ARE THE CLIMATE DENIERS? - BY BLAZE MCROB